Mati Rose McDonough is a mixed media artist based in San Francisco and the author of Daring Adventures in Paint. She's represented by the well-known Lilla Rogers Studio and her artwork has appeared on everything from t-shirts to games to furniture. Mati has some exciting creative projects in the works, so enjoy her interview today and get all the news!
Welcome Mati and please tell us about 5 of your favorite things!
1. Confessional = really cheezy shows like "Drop Dead Diva" about a model who dies and goes into the body of a lawyer and she has an angel follow her to court. Super believeable, I know;) I have a real affinity for switching bodies themed movies like "Freaky Friday", "Sliding Doors" and "13 Going on 30". It piques my curiosity to think of living someone else's life with your brain.
2. Art + Design books! On my desk right now: Whatever You Are, Be a good One by Lisa Congdon, Paper to Petal by Rebecca Thuss & Patrick Farrell, Creative Family Home by Ashlyn Gibson and The Onion's Great Escape by Sara Fanelli.
3. Red wine and conversations and crafting with my girlfriends.
4. Breakfast in bed brought to me by my dear foodie boyfriend Justin.
5. Riding my sea green bike around town in the flatlands. I like to coast.
Where do you live, what do you like about it - and what place would you most like to visit one day?
I live in Oakland, California. I love the weather... usually sunny and temperate year round! The gardens with lush rose bushes and succulents. Farmer's markets. The accessibility to the ocean and redwoods and vineyards. The diversity of International cultures and therefore food!
I want to visit Paris because I have never been which seems like an obvious oversight as an artist!
How do you manage to keep a good life/work balance and stay healthy and fit?
I work out at the YMCA 3 x's a week running and lifting with my boyfriend. I also take hikes frequently with my friend Monica. Ride my bike. I try to do yoga once a week too for mental health. This last year I've really prioritized exercise in my schedule and even though it cuts into my work day, I feel I have more presence of mind and work more efficiently.
I try to sleep a good 8 plus hours too and have recently converted to an eye mask + ear plugs routine that has helped tremendously in getting uninterrupted shut-eye, anywhere!
What is the most exciting adventure you ever had?
Driving cross-country of the US for 3 months camping and staying with friends along the southern route when I was 24 with my college roomate to San Francisco, where I've stayed all 14 years later.
Please tell us more about your favorite upcoming creative projects for 2014, and could you also share some advice to those who would like to pursue a more creative, artistic path too?
I'm super excited for my summer collage online course starting June 1st! It will be an easy entry for those just starting out and those who want to stretch their creative muscles in a supportive way.
I'm also so looking forward to making art in person at retreats coming up like this one in the fall in New York near the Hamptons.
I definitely recommend signing up for a class if you want to pursue a creative path to be introduced to new techniques and tips as well as meeting other creatives!!
Also my recently published children's book was a dream project illustrating one of my favorite poems by ee cummings "I Carry Your Heart in My Heart". It's now available signed in my shop.
Thank you Mati! I've followed your beautiful artwork for years and I'm certain that is it an inspiring experience to take your e-courses and workshops as you have so many glowing reviews here.
AND if you are a collage fan like me, don't miss Mati's new Daring Adventures in Collage online course starting June 1st.
I'll be contributing an artist interview and I'm excited to join in the fun :)
Happy creative weekend + thank you so much Mati Rose for sharing today!